Sunday, January 3, 2010

City of Bones: a retrospective...

Today I finished the current book I was reading.
aka The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

aka.. that ^

It took me 3 days to finish it and overall I approve!
Right after I finished, I bought and downloaded the next book (City of Ashes) on my nook so thats a good sign, I suppose. (Theres your green light Alex!)
It doesn't really compare to The Hunger Games or the Twilight books or Harry Potter BUT its a solid enjoyable read. With a pretty awkward twist at the end. Like, srsly awkward.

Allow me to share with you my thoughts on the matter whilst I sit here sampling this box of See's candy.


Sometimes, in life, particularily once a (or you know, every) month, one finds themselves with strange urge to race to the kitchen and devour everything chocolate. This is one such time in my life.

btw, I totally didn't eat ALL of those. Jonathan ate like 80%. I was just taking the empty wrappers out.
Seriously!

Can you imagine being Mary See's kid? That would be glorrrrrrrrious! I would be such a fatty!

_________________________________________

SO!
a few pages into the aforementioned book I was a little bit unsure if I would like it because it did seem like it was written for a younger audience. The main character is a 15 year old girl named Clary (Clarissa) and even though The Hunger Games and Twilight had main characters of pretty much the same age, you can tell that those 2 authors were writing for a more mature audience as well.

Ignoring the basic dialogue and generic-ish start, I kept on.
Because the story has so many made-up, fantastical, elements which are such a big part of the world they live in, the first bit of the book is a lot of roundabout explaining and details so you know what the heck is going on. At that point I had to embrace my inner nerd and just go with it.

Once I got to the 4th-ish chapter I started getting into the story and by chapter 10 I couldn't put the book down.

The dialogue definitely gets better the further in you read. It seems like the author was so focused on explaining the details/background in the beginning that her characters kind of suffered but once everything was laid out she put more effort into it.

......

um, ew.

When sampling goes bad.
This is a sick-nast moment if ever there was one!

*tangent*

Overall, the book gets better as you go. The story relly develops and keeps you interested. Its full of action and situations that get your heart pumping and I actually found myself laughing out loud once in a while.

By the end of the book, the only thing I was bothered by was how the author references the same things a little too often throughout. She references an iceberg like 6 times. Everything is an iceberg. as cold as an iceberg. as big as an iceberg. as solid as an iceberg. icebergicebergiceberg.
But this hardly matters its just something I noticed. Did anyone else notice this or am I just being crazy?

Again, if you decide to read this book prepare yourself for something seriously awkward at the end! I had an oh-shit moment when it all played out.. closely followed by an ew moment.

_________________________________________


Has anyone else read these books?
What did you think of them?



PS.. Thanks for the comments you guys have been leaving me! It totally makes my day when I get one and its nice to know some people are actually reading what I write! :)



Alex I hope you feel better soon!

3 comments:

  1. You rule. Srsly though I think you could eat 8 billion chocolates and would still be skinny as a rail.

    Green light noticed! I will buy the book!

    Iceberg? Big AND solid...pretty sure that is what she said! Bahaha...Sam if you comment I beat you to that ONE! Win!

    Thank you! I actually left the house today...and exhausted myself and feel like crap again...so here is hoping I don't die soon!

    Do you love that I leave novel length comments on your blog? I do it every single time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so felt the same about The Mortal Instruments books. I've read them all and got tired of them by the end. It just made me miss Peeta :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might just have to pick this up. Mmm Hunger Game and mmmm chocolate!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day :]